MongoDB has become popular in the market in recent years. It is an open-source database that is document-oriented. It delivers the user high availability, performance, and scaling on an automatic level. You can say this database is a document-oriented one. It is open-source in nature. The database is supported and has been developed by an esteemed company called 10gen.
Where can you get this database from?
You can get MongoDB under a General Public License that is free of cost. You can get it from the manufacturer’s license. This database can function with commodity servers. It can be used by any company of any size from any industry. It has gained immense popularity over the recent years for its nature of being document-based and non-relational. It is around 100 times faster than traditional databases, but it is hard to say whether it will replace the conventional RDBMS or not right now. It is very useful for gaining scalability and performance.
If you examine a relational database, it has a specific schema design that displays a large number of tables along with the relationship between these tables. The MongoDB database does not believe in the concepts of relationships, and this is where it differs from the conventional relational database.
What is the Primary Purpose Of The MongoDB Database?
The above is a genuine question that one might ask themselves when it comes to the need for this database. There already are so many databases around, so how does MongoDB stand out from the crowd?
The answer to the above question is very simple. All modern business apps need big data. The system they use must be flexible and fast. The conventional databases are not good enough to manage this surge of data, and this is where the MongoDB steps in to help-
The primary purpose of the MongoDB database is to be-
- Good in performance
- Highly accessible
- Should be scaled from single server deployments to a complex and sizeable multi-site architecture
The MongoDB database has two key points. It can be developed and deployed faster. The system can also be scaled on a higher level.
Advantages of MongoDB databases
The following are the main benefits of the MongoDB databases-
- MongoDB is schema-less- This database is a document-based system. Here one collection contains documents that are different from the other collection.
- There is a difference between the field numbers, size, and content of the document from one collection to another.
- The database has a clear structure of a single object
- The database does not have any complex joins
- You can get a deep query with this system as it supports a dynamic query that is strong on the documents.
- The system is very simple for you to scale
- It deploys internal memory for the storage of working sets. This is one of the main reasons as to what makes it fast.
What are the distinctive traits of the MongoDB database?
The unique vital traits of the MongoDB are as follows-
- You can use it quite easily
- It is lightweight.
- This database is faster than RDBMS
Where should MongoDB be used?
You can use the MongoDB for-
- Complex and big data
- Social and mobile infrastructure
- Content management and it’s delivery
- Data hubs
- User data management
Performance Comparative Analysis of the RDBMS and MongoDB-
Given below are the key points when it comes to the comparative analysis of RDBMS and MongoDB-
- In the RDBMS or relational database, tables are used as storage elements. In the MongoDB database, the collection is generally used.
- The RDBMS database uses multiple schemas, and every schema can be created with tables for the storage of data. MongoDB is a document-oriented database system where the data is written in the BSON format similar to the JSON format in some ways.
- MongoDB works much faster than conventional database systems.
MongoDB falls into a class of databases known as document-oriented databases and a broad division of databases called NoSQL databases.
What are the essential features of the MongoDB database?
Though the key traits of this database have been listed, it has the following important features-
The following are the essential features of the MongoDB database-
Professionals from reputed database management services company, RemoteDBA say the following are the most critical features of this database-
- It supports ad hoc queries – Here, you can search for the query with the help of field, range, and system that can support regular expression searches.
- Indexing- You can index any field in the document.
- Replication- The MongoDB supports the replication of the Master-Slave. The master can perform, read, and write, and a Slave can copy the data from this master. It can be used for the backups for reads.
- Duplication of the data- MongoDB can operate over several servers. This data can be duplicated for keeping the system performing well. It should also be in optimal condition even in the event of failure of hardware.
- Balancing of the load- The system has an automatic configuration for balancing due to the data that is placed in the shards.
- Support for aggregation tools and map-reduce
- This database is a schema-less database that is written in C++
- It offers you high performance
- It stores files of all sizes quite easily without any complications.
The MongoDB database is very simple for you to administer and supports the JSON data model with dynamic schemas. This system supports data models in JSON with dynamic schemas. It has support for auto-sharding for the horizontal scalability of the system. It has an in-built replication for high accessibility. Follow my blog Votesprout for new updates.
Today, companies from all industries are using the MongoDB database for creating new kinds of applications to improve availability and performance. Last but not least, before you learn about MongoDB, you should have an elementary knowledge of OOPS and SQL to excel.